13 December 2007

That's My Giant?

I lament the passing of the late-1990s era of the ill-advised corporate slogan. There was BGE's "That's What We Do," always so useful when a customer service rep would inform me of what I considered much too long a wait to fix a hot water heater or whatever. I remember one day holding the phone to the TV so the rep could hear their commercial playing. Saying "I thought that's what you do" always helped speed techs to my door.

But saying "That's My Giant" or more accurately, asking "That's My Giant?" usually never remedied whatever complaints prompted me to chat Giant Foods up, though after every third call, I'd invariably receive a fifteen dollar gift certificate. Still, it would have been entirely more satisfying to have had my complaints about the Rotunda Giant's complete lack of shopping carts (unless they're supposed to be roaming free in the parking lots), empty shelves, dearth of cashiers, cashiers who don't say thank you, cashiers who talk to everyone but the customer, etc., taken seriously. Compounding my frustration was the new Rehoboth Beach Giant, which customer service reps and regional managers spoke about in reverential tones.

A particularly infuriating Thanksgiving week shopping misadventure motivated me to dial Giant's corporate number once again. More tomorrow, but be forewarned the piece's working title is "Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose."

No comments: