06 December 2007

Support Locally-Owned Small Businesses

I'm from Russian pushcart stock. For thirteen years, I ran a small emporium (see the sidebar) featuring a tea room, bakery (ultra-fancy wedding cakes and cookies, etc.), antiques and gifts, and historic preservation and interior design consultation. I worked very hard and was rewarded with lots of regular customers. They're the backbone of any business.

Floods of fresh, intriguing boutiques, hand-in-hand with new and rehabbed buildings, are helping transform certain swaths of Baltimore. I wrote about a number of these shops in the December issue of Baltimore Magazine. But as I visited each business, I wondered if it would still be there a year from now.

Look, I'm going to be direct and maybe even blunt. Check out new places. If you like them, frequent them. Keep patronizing old favorites, too. It's up to you to insure they won't be gone the next time you come a'calling

No comments: